Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The Mental Jukebox 1.9.8

Still in the hotel. I told Cootiebug today, "It's starting to feel like 'Sid and Nancy' except there's no heroin and we're at the Hampton instead of the Chelsea."
Allegedly, in three weeks, we'll be home.
Can I reiterate we've been here since November?
Okay, then.

And the FSOTD is...

Closing Time-- Semisonic
I know who I want to take me home.

Hell's Shovel-- Cutthroat Shamrock
By the gods, I can't get this song out of my head! I absolutely friggin' love it. What'chu gonna do?

Florida-- Modest Mouse
Still like this one. It popped into my head, and I know not why. Welcome to the entire point of my blog.

New Girl Now-- Honeymoon Suite
Do you know why nobody remembers this '80's band? They're Canadian. They aren't on some shitty reality show on VH1. And their music was actually pretty good. "I've got a new girl now and she's a lot like you." Take that, random bimbo!

Hairshirt-- REM
From (in my opinion) the last great REM album, this song brings to mind some kind of weird mandolin innocence mixed with the gritty intensities of forensics. "Run a carbon black test on my jaw." Yeah, I know what he means, but ewwww. Hang this hairshirt on the highest rung.

Moneymaker-- Rilo Kiley
And sometimes, my brain hates me. When it plays this song, it wants to me to put on a wet suit, shove an English cucumber up my arse and hang myself from the closet rod.

Lullabye of Broadway-- Ethel Merman
What.
The.
Fuck.

Eastern Bloc-- Thomas Dolby
This is the sequel to the song that rolled through my head next...

Europa and the Pirate Twins-- Thomas Dolby
Can we get some love for Thomas Dolby, please? And can my brain get some applause for absolute creativity? A doubleshot of Dolby for me? Thank you. Thank you so much. When people talk about musical pioneers and don't talk about Thomas Dolby, they do the universe an injustice. Yeah, it's new wave, but it still holds up today, quite strongly.

Don't Pass Me By-- The Beatles
This song shows up more than I really want it to. So what strange hold does this band have on me? How did they become some kind of emotional support system for me? I'm really beginning to believe that with the consistent playing of this song and "Across the Universe," The Beatles are the security blanket of the Mental Jukebox.


You need some Dolby. You need it right now. We'll be the pirate twins again.


2 comments:

HexenCootie said...

I love closing time. My favorite line is "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

I've already told the SO's that when I die I want an archway for a memorial with that phrase carved into it.

Okay, going to listen to the Dolby now.

HexenCootie said...

So... your fans need an update X.

*taps foot impatiently*