Monday, November 12, 2007

Put a quarter in The Mental Jukebox.

The following is a reprint of the MySpace blog that started this whole doo-dah.


Most of you probably already know this, but I am a very musical person. I grew up around music, I have played in bands a majority of my life and there is always a song playing in my head.

Most of you also probably know that I have severe emotional issues that I cover up with either humor or extreme rudeness. Both work just fine as defense mechanisms, but both still lead me to the conclusion that self-analysis is key to my survival.

That is why, as your king lord geek, I have kept track of every single song that popped into my mind, unbidden and unsuggested by anyone else, for the past week. The theory is: if I'm always hearing music in my head, then maybe the music I'm hearing is trying to tell me something about myself or my situation. Perhaps my mental jukebox is trying to heal me somehow.

Or maybe I'm full of shit.

Regardless, here's the list of every song for the last week. Feel free to comment. I insist that you comment. And maybe, when we're done here, we'll have some brand new understandings about ourselves. At the very least, you will say, "Goddamn it, now I can't get that fucking song out of my head!" And when that happens, remember... I did that to you.

You're welcome.

Saturday 11.3.07

Wait and Bleed-- Slipknot
Golddigger-- Kanye West
What Have You Done For Me Lately-- Janet Jackson (Ms. Jackson, if you're nasty)


Sunday 11.4.07

Play the Game-- Queen
Scarborough Fair-- Simon & Garfunkel
Shady Lane-- Pavement
The Good Life-- Weezer
I Have Not Been To Oxford Town-- David Bowie


Monday 11.5.07

Mach Schau-- …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead
You Are the Woman-- Firefall
Across the Universe-- Beatles
Stairway to Heaven-- Led Zeppelin
Kickstart My Heart-- Motley Crue
Highway to Hell-- AC/DC
Pleased To Meet You-- Wolfmother
Thunder Island-- Jay Ferguson
One-- Metallica
Heresy-- nine inch nails
War All The Time-- Thursday
An Englishman in New York-- Sting
The Trooper-- Iron Maiden
Found A Job-- Talking Heads
Indecision Time-- Husker Du


Tuesday 11.6.07

Kickstart My Heart-- Motley Crue
I Want Your Sex-- George Michael
On The Offensive-- From Autumn to Ashes
Don't Pass Me By-- Beatles
Johnny Hit and Run Pauline-- X
Awesome-- Dollyrots
The Metal-- Tenacious D
Steal My Kisses-- Ben Harper
Something In The Way-- Nirvana
California Uber Alles-- Dead Kennedys


Wednesday 11.7.07

Afternoons and Coffeespoons-- Crash Test Dummies
Spaceboy-- Smashing Pumpkins
Blackberry Belle--Twilight Singers
Some rock instrumental from the early '70's. Not one of the obvious ones like "Frankenstein" or "Fire on High." I remember it because the guy starts fucking yodeling right in the middle of it. It's fantastic! I thought it was Johnny Winter, but I can't verify that and I can't hum it for you in a blog. (Thanks to my friend George, I can now confirm this song is "Hocus Pocus" by Focus. Download that and slowly go insane.)
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?-- Chicago
San Ber'dino-- Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Thorn In My Side-- Black Crowes
Good Morning, Good Morning-- Beatles
Empire-- Queensryche
Hangar 18-- Megadeth
Charles Nelson Reilly-- Dead Milkmen
Pistolwhip A Mime-- What Army
Take Me Down-- Alabama


Thursday 11.8.07
No Pussy Blues-- Grinderman
Gimme Some Water-- Eddie Money
Tarantula-- Smashing Pumpkins
Geek USA-- Smashing Pumpkins
Jenny From The Block-- J-Lo
Talking Out Of Turn-- Moody Blues
Life in the Fast Lane-- Eagles
Don't Answer Me-- Alan Parsons Project
Heaven-- Talking Heads
Sowing Season (Yeah)-- Brand New


Friday 11.9.07

Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?-- The Cramps
The Surfing Dead-- The Cramps
Marlene On The Wall-- Suzanne Vega
Papagenu (He's My Sassafrass)-- Tenacious D
It's So Easy-- Guns 'n' Roses
The theme from the original "Land of the Lost" TV show. Not that remake "livin' in the land of the lost" bullshit. I'm talking, "Marshall, Will and Holly on a routine expedition…" Yeah. That one.
We Never Change-- Coldplay
Forever Young-- Rod Stewart
Millstone-- Brand New
Carry Me Home-- The Living End
Double Vision-- Foreigner
Dirty Window-- Metallica
Theme from "Teen Girl Squad." If you don't know what that is, go to www.homestarrunner.com and noodle about until you find it. You'll thank me later.
Milk It-- Nirvana

And so it begins. I will be adding daily lists to the blog and you are more than welcome to comment. Talk about the songs, talk about the songs that have been stuck in your head or use my lists to analyze me. Try to keep your posts reasonably intelligent, okay? Stuff like, "d00d, ur problem iz ur a fagit" will not stay on the blog for long.

Have fun!


No comments: